Metro Bethesda Rotary Foundation
The MBR Foundation is a non-profit corporation that supports the Club’s efforts to provide humanitarian assistance locally and internationally, and to promote peace, understanding, and educational and cultural advancement.
In recent years, the Club has provided approximately $50K per year for community and international projects. Much of our funding has been match by the foundations of other local Clubs, our District, and Rotary International.
2020/21 MBR Foundation Board members include President Daniel Fischer, Treasurer Karl Miller, Secretary Ellen Singer, Archana Uppal, Russell Lacey, Grace Foster, Dushanti Peiris, Reed Dewey, and Alan Schulman.
The Metro Bethesda Rotary Foundation is the charitable arm for the service and charity work of the Club. The Foundation is managed independently by a Board of Directors consisting of members of MBR. It is operated exclusively for educational and charitable purposes in accordance with Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
The Foundation is funded in multiple ways:
- Fundraisers including our Purple Tee Golf Tournament
- Donations from MBR members and other Rotary clubs
- Happy Bucks, a weekly Club tradition
In addition, the Foundation is often able to obtain matching funds from District 7620 and RI Foundations in order to multiply the positive impact of its donations.
The Foundation has supported a variety of local and international projects and charitable organizations. Some recent examples include:
- Kids in Need Distributors (KIND) in Montgomery County, MD
- Backpack & School Supply Project in Honduras
- Congenital Heart Disease Project in Kenya and Alicante, Spain
- People’s Science Institute System of Rice Intensification Project in India
- COVID-19 Project in Montgomery County, MD and NW DC
The Foundation is accepting grant requests until Feb 1, 2021. The Board will meet on or around February 16 and vote on grant awards. A member of the Club must bring any grant requests to the Board, and is responsible for completing the application and follow-up.